- New York lawmakers unanimously passed a measure requiring the state’s Public Service Commission to set targets to increase the adoption of energy storage in the state through 2030. The new law requires the commission to work with the New York State Energy and Research Development Agency and the Long Island Power Authority. [RTO Insider]
- Donald Trump will tout surging US exports of oil and natural gas during a week of events aimed at showing the country’s growing energy dominance. He also plans to emphasize that after decades of relying on foreign energy supplies, the US is set to become a net exporter of oil, gas, coal, and new renewable and nuclear technology. [Petroleumworld.com]
- Yellowstone Park is being hit by a swarm of earthquakes. About 770 have been recorded since June 12. This raises fears among the people across the affected areas for a possible volcanic eruption. If a super-volcano erupts, the disaster could radically transform the whole global climate and destroy much of the western US. [Science World Report]
- Mining data reviewed by the Associated Press show that coal production through May is up by at least 121 million tons, or 6%, for China, India, and the US, compared to the same period last year. The change is most dramatic in the US, where coal mining rose 19% in the first five months of the year, according to US DOE data. [MetroNews Canada]
- Solar energy continues to be the fastest growing energy source for US electricity, and now accounts for 2.2% of the US supply. Large-scale solar production in April totaled 4.8 million MWh, a jump of 63% over the same month a year ago, and with the combination of rooftop solar contributed 6.9 million MWh, or 2.2%. [RenewEconomy]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.
from Green Energy Times http://www.greenenergytimes.org/2017/06/26/june-26-green-energy-news-3/