Portugal, Canada, and even Siberia have seen devastating wildfires this summer – with some people beginning to wonder if climate change will make such destructive fires normal. Maps with data from NASA’s Fire Information for Resource Management System (FIRMS) show a world filled with red. National Center for Atmospheric Research scientist Kevin Trenberth told DW, “A lot of these things are happening locally, but people don’t always connect them to climate change. But there is a real climate change…
from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building http://inhabitat.com/nasa-map-shows-how-climate-change-has-set-the-world-on-fire
Mercedes-Benz decided to go back to the 1930s for its latest concept car, the Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 cabriolet concept. With its imposing grille and long sensuous curves, the Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 cabriolet brings is an art deco-inspired car, but with a 21st century powertrain – four electric motors.
At 20 feet long, the Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 cabriolet is over five feet longer than the Nissan Leaf. At the front there’s a grille that’s inspired by a pinstripe suit, while as you…
from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building http://inhabitat.com/mercedes-benz-unveils-stunning-art-deco-inspired-electric-car
Ice cores hold the secrets of what our planet was like millions of years ago, in bubbles preserving greenhouse gases from that time. A Princeton University-led team just revealed the date of what is now the oldest ice core we’ve ever dated, and it’s 2.7 million years old. Beating the previous record by around 1.7 million years, the ice core could potentially help scientists determine what set off the ice ages.
from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building http://inhabitat.com/oldest-ice-core-ever-dated-reveals-hidden-clues-to-ancient-earths-atmosphere
Self-taught designer Fernando Abellanas built his studio in a very unusual space– into the underside of a traffic bridge in Valencia, Spain. This tiny moveable workspace has everything he needs, including shelves, chair and a desk that’s been bolted into the concrete wall of the bridge.
The designer built the workspace himself. He installed a hand crank and rails, along which the metal base can move from one side of the bridge to the other. From this hidden space, he can hear and see what happens…
from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building http://inhabitat.com/self-taught-designer-builds-a-secret-studio-under-a-bridge-in-valencia
- “Why solar towers and storage plants will reshape energy markets” • The 150-MW solar tower and molten salt storage plant to be built in Port Augusta has been made possible by a ground-breaking pricing and contract structure that could help completely reshape Australian power markets, including the end of “baseload” power as we know it. [RenewEconomy]
Visitors at a solar thermal power plant
- The Trump administration has decided to withdraw the official estimate of the Social Cost of Carbon and disband the inter-agency working group that developed it. Despite this, a group of prominent economists and lawyers have highlighted the metric’s continued validity for policymaking in a letter published in the journal Science. [eco-business.com]
- GreenWish Partners, a renewable energy company run by a former Morgan Stanley executive, is planning to invest $800 million on solar-powered telephone towers across Africa. The project could fuel economic growth by providing power for essential services. Sub-Saharan Africa has the lowest rates of energy access in the world. [Bloomberg]
- According to the University of Minnesota’s Energy Transition Lab, starting in 2019 the overall cost of building grid-scale storage there will be less than that of building natural-gas plants to meet future energy demand in that state. Current plans for adding 1,800 MW of gas-fired “peaker” plants by 2028 may be unnecessary. [Yahoo Finance UK]
- In late 2015, DME unveiled its Renewable Denton Plan to almost immediate controversy, as it pivoted on a $265 million investment in a new, gas-fired power plant. After management changes, a new plan is expected to identify clear steps to get 70% to 100% percent of Denton’s electricity from renewable energy by 2019. [Denton Record Chronicle]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.
from Green Energy Times http://www.greenenergytimes.org/2017/08/21/august-21-green-energy-news-4/
For years Volkswagen has teased us with the idea of bringing back the much loved, iconic VW Microbus. Most recently, VW unveiled the I.D. Buzz concept car earlier this year, which applied the styling of a Microbus, but with a fully electric powertrain. After several rumors and reports, VW has confirmed that the Microbus will officially return in 2022.
from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building http://inhabitat.com/volkswagen-confirms-when-the-microbus-is-coming-back-as-an-ev
The new Aedas-designed Unilever HQ in Jakarta references Indonesia’s traditional villages and creates a strong sense of community. The architects incorporated three main elements–community, diversity and nature–into the design and focused on facilitating collaboration while maintaining privacy.
The new building sits in the BSD Green Office Park, Indonesia’s first green office campus masterplanned by Aedas. It houses the company’s four separate offices in Jakarta under one roof and combines…
from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building http://inhabitat.com/village-inspired-office-in-jakarta-is-topped-with-living-trees-and-a-green-roof